How healthy is Lake Stevens? Plus, we’re excited to announce the winner of the 2018 Cascade Garden Award winner.Read More
Here are photos and videos of the conservation of the year award winners. Enjoy snapshots of their lives to inspire you to also be changemakers for better ground.
Ask yourself. What ripples will my stone create?Read More
Snohomish Conservation District (SCD) is honoring the following individuals, businesses and non-profits whose work to conserve natural resources have been exceptional. Our 2018 Better Ground Showcase is invitation only this year and will be held on Thursday, April 12, 2018, in Mukilteo.Read More
The 2018 Annual Plant Sale is in the record books. Nearly 50,000 plants went out the door and we could not have done it without YOU! Thanks for supporting native plants and better ground! And, volunteers, you rock our world! Thanks!Read More
In 2017, Snohomish Conservation District began a partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs to host a crew similar to our Washington Conservation Corps crew, but consisting of all veterans. Other partners in this effort included The Nature Conservancy and The Boeing Company.
The Snohomish Conservation District and the Veterans Conservation Corps are excited to announce that we are ACTIVELY HIRING United States military veterans as new crew members for the 2018 season.
These crew members will work with landowners on stormwater resource concerns within urban and residential areas of Snohomish County and Camano Island, and occasionally in other parts of the Puget Sound region. Field duties include rain garden construction, installing rain catchment systems, and habitat restoration projects including planting native species and removing invasive non-native species.
To get an idea of what it's like to be a crew member in action, please watch this short video:
This position will work on a 4-person field crew under the supervision of the Snohomish Conservation District’s (SCD) Community Conservation Team.
- Work week is Monday-Thursday, 7am-5pm
- Pay is in the form of a $2000 monthly stipend
- Two consecutive 4-month terms
- Term 1: March 1st - June 30th
- Term 2: July 1st - October 31st
- Currently accepting applications for Term 1. Crew members in good standing at the completion of Term 1 may elect to stay on for Term 2
- All safety equipment (gloves, hard hats, eye protection, ear protection, etc.) is provided
- Must be a United States military veteran to be eligible for this position
- Must have dependable transportation to and from the Snohomish Conservation District office in Lake Stevens
- Must be able to work Monday-Thursday, 7am-5pm
- To learn more about the Veterans Conservation Corps, contact: Kim Pham - Veterans Conservation Corps Internship Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about the job requirements, contact: Cameron Coronado - Snohomish Conservation District - email@example.com - 425-377-7009
- View Snohomish Conservation District's employment page here.
Recent Press about our Vet Crew
- "A Country Worth Defending is Worth Preserving" - The Nature Conservancy
- "Team of eco-friendly veterans work on conservation projects across county" - The Everett Herald
“This was a great opportunity to demonstrate the value of public-private partnerships, multi-benefit projects, and locally led actions,” said District Manager of the Snohomish Conservation District Monte Marti. “It highlights the commitment to and importance of voluntary stewardship efforts by private landowners.”Read More
On Monday May 15th, the Snohomish Conservation District (SCD) invited out Council Members Brian Sullivan and Stephanie Wright, to join District Manager, Monte Marti, on a tour around south Snohomish County to view completed stormwater treatment projects within their districts (2 and 3).
The tour consisted of a rain garden on an right of way and a property owner’s house in Edmonds, the Mukilteo Library, Mukilteo Elementary School to view their outdoor classroom, and condominiums along 112th St. SE in Everett.Read More
We’re filling our office to the brim with rain barrels and keeping our doors open late for this special one-day only pick-up event, just in time for summer watering. You will get a pre-assembled 55-gallon barrel with sturdy components (spigot, overflow spout, mesh over inlet).Read More