Benefits of Native Landscaping
Landscaping the edge of your property with plants, trees and shrubs can protect local waterways from stormwater pollution while adding privacy, visual interest, and year-round color!
Benefits of a shoreline buffer:
- Add color and architectural interest to enhance your view and outdoor living space
- Promote privacy while maintaining waterfront access and views
- Reduce shoreline erosion
- Diffuse loud noises coming from other boats on the water
- Address drainage and soggy spots
- Attract butterflies and birds
- Protect Lake Stevens from problematic algal blooms
Apply for a $250 Landscaping Rebate!
We are offering special rebates up to $250 to eligible shoreline properties to purchase native plants. By participating you'll receive a landscapingconsultation with a design and optional labor provided by the Snohomish Conservation District Veterans Conservation Crew.
How the rebate works (aka the fine print):
- Eligible properties must be within the Lake Steven's Watershed. Properties that are within a quarter mile of the Lake will be prioritized, with highest priority given to lakefront properties and properties bordering streams, or other water bodies. Not sure if you're eligible? Get in touch!
- *Plants must be climate appropriate or native to our region.
- The first step is to fill out the Rebate Application above or contact Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 425-377-7018.
- If you meet the pre-screening requirements in your interest form, our staff will contact you to arrange a good time to meet at your property so we can assess the planting site, discuss your landscaping goals, determine the best recommendations for plants, sign paperwork, and if desired, we'll follow up the visit with a landscaping design. ** Please note: In order to justify grant funds for this water quality project (funding is intended to promote native landscaping around the lake to help filter out pollution and reduce algae blooms) we cannot provide the rebate funding without visiting the planting site first.
- When your planting plan and application have been officially approved, after our visit, you'll sign a rebate agreement form. Then, you can start buying plants that you'll be reimbursed for (must save all copies of receipts to be eligible for rebate).
- NEW OPTION! We've found that some landowners are more interested in labor to install the landscaping, move soil, etc. than they are in the rebate money to purchase plants. To accommodate this interest, Snohomish Conservation District has a Veteran's Conservation Corp Crew that can provide a full day of FREE landscaping labor at your property. Please note, if you choose to receive the free day of labor you will not be eligible for the plant rebate funding, in addition to the labor.
Questions? Contact Laura for more information at laura(at)snohomishcd.org, 425-377-7018