Rain barrels capture water from your roof to use at a later time - like during the hot summer months when you need to water your garden. “Harvesting” rain like this also prevents water from becoming runoff that carries pollutants from the road into our rivers, lakes, and other natural water bodies.
Why should I install a rain barrel?
There are many benefits to harvesting water with rain barrels. In addition to helping you conserve water, rain barrels can you to:
- Cut your household use of water during the hot summer months
- Water your plants with chlorine-free rainwater that they prefer
- Clean your car, bike, tools, etc. without ever using the faucet
- Provide water to livestock
- Save money on water bills
- Protect local streams and Puget Sound
- Managing Stormwater At Home (PDF)
- Disconnecting Downspouts (PDF)
- Rain Barrels - Useful Information and the Law
Already Own a Rain Barrel?
Check out our Rain Barrel Care page to learn about installation, painting, and basic rain barrel maintenance.
Also, want to take your rain barrels to the next level? Check out our Rain Bed program, which incorporates rain barrels and a raised bed.